One Room Challenge-Week Four

A wallpapering we'll go!  That was the focus of this week.  As someone who hasn't wallpapered but only once before with a product that is *slightly* different than true wallpaper, I wanted to tackle the wallpaper project for the room as soon as possible.  As I mentioned in the post from the second week I knew that I wanted to go with a mural for the room, but floated around to several different options before settling on Anewall's Clouded Mural.  I've been pinning wallpaper in general for the last few months (you can see my "stash" here), there are so many good options!  Anewall had excellent customer service.  Since their papers are from Canada, I wasn't sure that it would arrive in time to support the One Room Challenge, so I sent them an email and they replied promptly with timelines (that would work-yay!) and also sent over some great samples so that I could choose a paint before the full mural arrived.  

Since I was doing full length walls in this room, I thought it would be a good idea to have a second set of hands so I had my studio assistant come in from the woodshop for the day and help me out with the papering.  It was so great to have another person to help move those wet, drippy sheets of wallpaper and maneuver the paper in place to line up the pattern.  Here's the progress after the first couple panels went up.

Photo Oct 20, 11 43 48 AM.jpg

We had a slight snafu on that second panel that required a bit of quick, slightly panic thinking.  I had painted a couple of the dark green samples on that wall....I am not really sure why, because I always planned to put a mural on it, but when we put that second piece up over the paint sample swatch IT SHOWED THROUGH THE PAPER (!!!!!) I'm not sure why I didn't think to prime over it...I was so diligent about priming over the walls in the bathroom wallpapering project....I blame it on having a lot of irons in the fire right now.  But at any rate, this was a problem, it looked really bad.  Now we had this wet wallpaper that we had started hanging, heck, mostly smoothing it on the wall and it had something bad behind it....yikes!  

Luckily, I already had a wet primer roller stored at the ready from some other projects and we quickly (and gently) removed the strip of wallpaper from the wall, wetted it a little more with a sprayer and re-booked it to keep it from drying out.  I then rolled out the painted sections with the primer and Caira took the hairdryer to them to quickly dry each coat...as we were doing this, I kept checking in on the paper and giving it light spritzes of water wherever I saw it starting to dry out. 

Photo Oct 20, 10 55 04 AM.jpg

After three coats of primer it looked like we had covered most of the dark green paint and we gently repositioned that second piece back into place.  It seemed like it was behaving a little different that it had before, but after some deep, calming breaths, and slowly and gently working it into place, all seemed fine.  I'm happy to report after being up on the wall almost a week, the paper seems just as secure as the others! Whew! 

We continued hanging the remaining panels, moving across the wall.  Below is a quick snapshot of the booking process.  After soaking the panels in a tub of water for about 15 seconds, we would unroll the panels and then fold them adhesive sides together to let the paper "relax" for about a minute before hanging it on the wall.

Photo Oct 20, 3 47 04 PM.jpg

Getting closer! I love how the clouds have a luminosity about them, we could start to see the colors shifting and changing throughout the day....so pretty! 

Photo Oct 20, 2 43 37 PM.jpg

And then one more panel and around the corner of the wall....and done! 

Photo Oct 25, 3 57 36 PM.jpg

Instead of trying to cut the edge on that corner by the door, which would probably seem really awkward, I decided to wrap it around the corner to meet the doorframe.  This would also allow for a peek of the paper from the hallway which I thought was a pretty touch and would encourage the eye around the corner since the mural is not on a wall facing the doorway. 

Photo Oct 25, 3 49 51 PM.jpg

The print quality on the paper is a really nice, watercolor feel. 

Photo Oct 25, 3 51 37 PM.jpg

I'm loving how it works with the green walls...

Photo Oct 25, 3 52 33 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 25, 3 51 13 PM.jpg

Beyond the wallpaper I didn't accomplish much else this week except for ordering a few more items that we need.   But I have a couple ideas brewing for details in the room....this green charcoal portrait that I picked up when I lived in Jacksonville, FL four years ago has yet to find a spot in this house....I think she'd be lovely in here...

Photo Oct 25, 3 48 34 PM.jpg

I've also had this old bubblegum machine base that I picked up years ago #hoarder and I'm toying around with the idea of making a wood top for it as a side table to the loveseat/pullout bed...I'll likely change the color of the base to something that jives better with the colors in the room.  I love the old-fashioned details on this piece and I think it would provide a nice contrast to the more modern lines of the loveseat. 

Photo Oct 25, 3 53 42 PM.jpg

That's it for this weeks progress!  We also received word that due to the storms and fires that have plagued so many over the last month and a half and their impact on timelines, scheduling, shipping, etc, the One Room Challenge is being extended a week so that everyone can finish strong! The new reveal date will be Thursday, November 16th.  

Thanks again for following along!  Your kind words mean so much to me.  I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on wallpaper or anything else, I so enjoy hearing what everyone else has been up to.  

Check out what the other guest participants have been up to here, there are so many great transformations going on, it's a great way to get inspired!  And if you missed the previous weeks posts, you can can up here. xo, Nicole

ORC Logo.png