It's the hooooooome stretch! Last week of the challenge and we decided to tackle probably the largest component in this nursery, the built in daybed! We had planned all along to do it at this stage in the project because we knew the homeowners dad was going to be in town. This daybed project turned out to be a family affair, with the grandpa, uncle, and dad to be all spending a weekend tackling this project like champs!
As a refresher, here is the nook in between the two closets as it stood before. The homeowners had a freestanding daybed in the spot before, but there was a lot of wasted space and it didn't match the style of the new design.
I drew out a rough plan of the concept.
And first thing Saturday morning everybody got to work! I'm still in awe-I mean, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? These homeowners and their family MADE this bed...and not all of them are seasoned woodworkers, but they dove in and did it. So cool.
The cubby portion took the longest to build, so many measurements! But totally worth it to have some good storage as well as add a little whimsy to the piece. There is an arched cubby on the front and a smaller one that will sit just above the mattress. Many, many hours later after all the pieces had been cut we brought everything upstairs and started the install.
This was where we were about mid-day Sunday. Ian, the new dad-to-be spent the next three days finishing the left side of the bed, installing the big drawer and whitewashing the wood to keep it almost looking like it has no finish on it, we use Rubio Monocoat which provides a durable finish (it's designed for flooring).
We decided to veneer some of the unfinished edges (thank goodness for Amazon Prime!) the veneer arrived last night and we applied it this afternoon...finally done and ready for the mattress!
We're letting the finish cure another day before adding the mattress. We also got the alphabet print in from Jenni's print shop. I love how modern and crisp this looks against the blue walls.
The new wall light for the daybed area also arrived! I promise it will look better installed rather than me awkwardly holding it up on the wall :)
I'm also working on a little handmade mobile for over the crib using some of Share Studio's gorgeous handmade paper.